Zambia Electric Cooperative Development Program
Cooperative Development Organisation
Implementing Partners and Organisations
Period of Implementation
Bilateral Aid: Cooperative Development Program, U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)
Type of Activity
Principal Activities are: Identify communities that are suitable candidates for development of electric cooperatives. Build technical capacity in communities through community engagement, develop business plans, and secure financing for infrastructure. Provide ongoing technical support to cooperatives from formation to operations phase. Be a mentor and provide operations training to cooperatives. Support improvements in the legal and regulatory framework. Collaborate with other cooperative development organizations on lessons learned and research activities.
The program aims to develop viable electric cooperatives in rural communities, that will play an important role in the electrification expansion efforts in Zambia.
Impact on SDGs
2. Dollar ($) Value of Member Equity in a Cooperative or Credit Union
3. Number of people trained in technical energy fields supported by USG assistance
4. Dollar ($) value of non-donor resources mobilized for locally led development priorities
5. Number of Cooperatives and Credit Unions with Improved Governance
6. Number of private sector firms that have improved management practices or technologies as a result of USG assistance
7. Number of beneficiaries with improved energy services due to USG assistance
8. Percent of USG-assisted organizations with improved performance